SOUTHWEST MINNESOTA STATE UNIVERSITY
Southwest Minnesota State University (SMSU) is a liberal arts university located in Marshall, Minnesota, a community of 14,000 which has been named one of America’s best small cities.
The university offers over 50 majors and minors to potential students. SMSU also offers four master’s degrees: Business (MBA), Education, Special Education, and Physical Education: Coaching of Sport.
Two factors make SMSU an especially attractive choice for international students: 1. The University was recently named the safest college campus in the state of Minnesota by YourLocalSecurity.com; and 2. SMSU has the same tuition for international students as it does for in-state students. SMSU offers a quality education, at an affordable price. SMSU WAS LISTED AT NUMBER 7 IN U.S. SCHOOLS WITH THE LOWEST INTERNATIONAL STUDENT COSTS FROM U.S.NEWS & WORLD REPORT ON JANUARY 15, 2020.
There are 232 international students from over 27 countries who attend SMSU. The Center for International Education offers many resources to help acclimate international students to college life at SMSU. A helpful staff understands the unique challenges that international students face, and strives to make the transition to SMSU and southwest Minnesota an easy one.
Southwest Minnesota State University embraces diversity. Students of color comprise 17 percent of the student population.
Exercise Science is one of the fastest-growing majors at SMSU and is also offered on the campuses of a trio of two-year colleges in the Minneapolis area. Also, the Culinology program is the only Research Chefs Association-approved degree of its kind in the U.S.
The Mustang athletic teams compete in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference, the finest Division II conference in the U.S.
International students will find a welcoming community and region, one that embraces different cultures and values diversity.
Some highlights of SMSU:
- SMSU is ranked 7th nationally in 2020 for most affordable bachelor’s degrees by Best Value Schools
- A commitment to veterans: SMSU is ranked the top university in the U.S. in its class for 2020-21 by Military Friendly® Schools
- The same tuition rate for 12 to 18 credits; out-of-state and international students pay in-state tuition
- Eleven degrees that can be earned completely online
- A campus-wide Undergraduate ResearchConference, where 35 percent of our students present their scholarly work
- Mustang Promise: You’ll find a job, or your first semester of graduate school is free
- A faculty and staff committed to student success. You’ll hear the term “Mustang Family” frequently, and there’s a reason why
- Residential Living & Learning communitiesthat share an academic or a special interest with the residents of their house: these include agriculture house; Culinology house; Access, Opportunity, and Success community; fine arts community; Mustang Pathways community; Exercise Science house; and the Mustang Traditions house
- Our Honors Program offers qualified studentsa rigorous, challenging curriculum with a focus on their potential talents, interests, and abilities
- SMSU graduates get jobs: 99 percent ofour recent grads are employed; 10 percent continue their education following graduation