How To Increase Your Chances Of Recruitment as a Fresher
As a student studying abroad, it is natural for you to aim for a job in the city or the country that you choose to study in. As a fresher or a student with little experience, going through the job hunting, recruitment, and selection process can be daunting. Therefore, it is important for a fresher to understand how to navigate the recruitment process and increase your chances of getting hired, possibly for your dream job.
Here are 5 ways to increase your chances for recruitment as a fresher –
- Build a strong network – Networking is an essential part of a student’s life as you get the chance to meet new people and explore new opportunities. Networking can increase your chances of finding a job as you meet industry professionals and individuals who have job offers and connections that can help you secure a job. One way to network is to attend career fairs, campus hiring events, and conferences where you can meet people from your industry and get recommendations for jobs. Also, remember that networking is a two-way street, so if you have anything to offer, always be willing to help, as it will come back to you! Let’s say you stay in student accommodation UK; it can be easy for you to make connections and friends in student halls London, which can be beneficial for you to connect with new individuals.
- Develop your skills – Identify if you have the skills required for the job that you wish to apply for, and make sure to mention them on your resume. If you need any additional skills for a job of your liking, you can take up online courses and training programs to gain practical experience. Your skills are what will get you close to your dream job and help you upgrade your resume, and also give you a kickstart at your first job. Hard and soft skill development is extremely essential, and those are your main selling points as a fresher, given that you have no prior experience.
- Practice your interview skills – As you will apply for multiple jobs as you try to find ‘the one’, you will go through a series of interviews and assessments with different companies looking for different things. It is important to practice your interview skills beforehand, which means you should go over the basic interview questions like “what are your greatest strengths and weaknesses?”, “what have you learned in your university courses?” etc. This way, when you go in for an interview, you will be familiar with the process and will be able to answer the questions smoothly. Also, it is helpful to read up about the company and the role that you have applied for so that you can ask questions and get your doubts answered. Asking questions to the interviewer shows your interest and knowledge about the job.
- Create an online presence – These days, it is extremely important to have an online presence on job-relevant social media channels like LinkedIn, Indeed or Monster.com where you can apply for jobs and share your portfolio and skills. If you have any personal blogs, projects, and achievements that you have worked on in the past, you can showcase those in your portfolio online for recruiters to get a glimpse of your work. Having an online presence also helps you connect with recruiters, so make sure you keep updating your profile.
- Tailor your cover letters and resume – Most companies ask for cover letters where you write about your willingness to work for a certain company, how you can contribute to the role, why the particular job is good for your career path, and how can the company help you achieve your goals. Make sure to have a template for the cover letter and add in the relevant details based on the different roles you apply for. Make sure to have an updated resume with your most recent details like internships, projects and skills, and make sure you keep your resume limited to 1-2 pages max.
Article submitted by Amber:
Amber and you- AmberStudent is an online student accommodation that helps you secure a home of choice on your study abroad journey. Having served 80 million students (and counting), AmberStudent is your one-stop shop for all your accommodation needs, with great choices for international student housing. Amber helps with assistance, booking, and price match guarantees! Check out their Facebook and Instagram and stay connected! Amber is also introducing a limited period offer for students booking accommodation – an exclusive discount worth GBP 300 on value-added services to simplify study abroad journey for students.
Author’s Bio – Madhura Ballal plays many roles- a cat person, a food lover, an avid marketer, and a postgraduate from the National University of Singapore. You can find her painting, doing yoga, and spending time with her friends when she’s not playing one of the most critical roles that she has taken on- writing.